|dog, dogs, dog breed, dog breeds, dog info, puppy, dog articles, canine, feline, cat, cats, cat breed, cat info, cat details, cat care, cat picture, cat photo, cat link, pet, pets
First Aid Treatment For Your Poisoned Dog
By Jeff Clare
There are a lot of rumors and urban legends as to what is poisonous to dogs. Most of it is nonsense, but in the interest of fairness, there is a large range of substances capable of sickening or killing a dog. Often, these substances are so ordinary we humans take for granted that we shouldn't ingest them and that our dog will know the same.
The easiest way to handle poisoning is to prevent it from happening in the first place. Keeping threatening substances away from your dog is the best way, but dogs are inquisitive creatures, especially when they're young, so prevention can be easier said than done. Punishing a dog that gets too close to an off-limits substance is a good (though not 100% reliable) way to reinforce your policy of prevention. Being careful of what plants you keep in your home is another way to prevent poisonings. A little research will usually reveal whether the plant is dangerous or not. Should a poisoning occur, knowing what substances the dog has ingested will be vital to your dog's survival.
If a dog does ingest a poisonous substance, your first priority under most (but definitely not all) circumstances is to induce vomiting. The best way to induce vomiting is to give the dog one to two teaspoons' worth of hydrogen peroxide and wait for five to ten minutes for the dog to throw up. However, dogs do have a limit for how much hydrogen peroxide their systems can stand; give no more than one teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide per five pounds of the dog's weight. A single millimeter of ipecac syrup will do the same job, though it does take longer to produce results, so use ipecac syrup only when you're out of hydrogen peroxide.
Two situations where you should not, under any circumstances, use hydrogen peroxide are when a dog ingests either corrosives (such as household cleaners, drain cleaners, bleach, lye, and solvents) or petroleum-based substances, such as gasoline and turpentine (we told you that knowing what the dog ingested would be important).
Corrosives should be treated with activated charcoal or milk of magnesia (or Pepto-Bismol or a similar drug). Alkalies should be treated with 1:4 diluted vinegar with water (meaning one unit of vinegar for every four units; there's no set unit for this, but whatever unit you decide to use, make sure you're giving generous portions of the mixture to your dog).
Petroleum products aren't so easy to treat and demand artificial respiration. In all cases, veterinary care should be sought out immediately. If ever you're uncertain about precisely what remedies you should give to your dog, be cautious and call a veterinarian for advice.
Other than identifying the poison and remembering a way to keep it from killing your dog, dog owners also have to contend with the fact that few dogs willingly take any form of medicine provided to them. Since most emergency poison remedies are in liquid form, shoving the medicine down a dog's throat is relatively easy, though a large syringe without a needle can also be used to squirt the chemicals into your dog's mouth.
Though the dog's blind trust and good-natured acceptance of even the leanest of conditions has won them the affections of humankind, those same traits make dogs especially vulnerable to poisoning themselves without even trying. As unpleasant as this can be for dog owners, it's a reality that owners must face, but a little information and common sense will ensure that they don't face poisoning unprepared.
Source: Submit Articles at ArticlesBase.com
About the Author:
Jeff Clare runs Dog Training News where you can read many more articles on dog control. For more general advice on dog kennels go to Dogs And Dog News.
Deadly Indoor And Outdoor Plants Harmful To Dogs
By Kelly Marshall
Many dog owners don't consider that harmless little house and garden plants may be a potential source of danger to your dog or puppy. Usually poisonous plants are more deadly to small puppies, but some plants, even in small amounts, can be toxic to dogs of any size. By taking the time to understand the various plants and their levels of toxicity for dogs you can avoid costly vet bills and even more serious conditions.
Depending on the type of plant either the leaves, stems, bark, roots or fruit can be toxic. Some plants are only toxic at various times in their growth stage whereas others are always poisonous. For information on each type of plant the internet, your vet, or even a plant and gardening book is great resource.
Believe it or not some of the most common garden plants are also the most deadly. Tomato plants, both the leaves and the stems, can be toxic to dogs. St. John's Wort, an herbal plant, is very toxic leading to vomiting and seizures. Other garden plants that can be problematic include:
· Black Cherry
· Black Walnuts
· Castor Beans
· Mustard plants/greens
Fencing the garden area or monitoring if the dog is actually eating the plants within the garden is important. When in doubt completely isolating the garden from the area the dog is kept is a great idea.
Ornamental Outdoor Plants
Everyone loves to have their yard area looking great, but not at the expense of his or her animals becoming ill. Some of the showiest of the flowering plants are also the most deadly, including Oleander and many of the flowering shrubs. The list of the most common flowering and ornamental plants that are frequently found in gardens are:
· Baby's Breath
· Bird of Paradise
· Black Eyed Susan
· Bleeding Heart
· Boston Ivy
· Calla Lilly
· Elephant Ear
· Easter Lilly
· Flamingo plant
· Jade plant
· Morning Glory
· Tiger Lily
There are many other beautiful garden flower that can also be deadly, so be sure to check with the nursery or garden shop before planting them in the same area that you are planning on keeping your dog.
Many of the houseplants including ferns, dieffenbachia, pothos, ivy, philodendron, and even poinsettias are very toxic to dogs. Corn plant, peace lilies and any of the ornamental tobacco plants can be very dangerous for both full-grown dogs and puppies.
If you think that your dog may have consumed a poisonous or potentially poisonous plant immediately get them to the vet. Bring a small amount of the plant with you, including the leaf and the flower, to help with identification.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesBase.com
About the Author:
More information can be found at Oh My Dog Supplies: http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/xnews.php - also shop for dog beds at http://www.ohmydogsupplies.com/dog-supplies/dog-beds
| News & Events: |